- Welcome to Mr. Watchorn! We are thrilled to announce that the principal of Kent starting in January will be Mr. Stan Watchorn. Mr. Watchorn is currently the district’s Director of Instruction and comes with a wealth of experience both as a teacher as well as an administrator. Be sure to keep an eye out for him at our school and take a moment to introduce yourself and welcome him to the Kent Community.
Remembrance Day Assembly We invited the community into our gym last Friday to participate in our Aboriginal Veterans Day/Remembrance Day assembly. Cpl Dwayne Farlin of the Agassiz RCMP and Terry Blaker of the local Legion were honoured guests for the important event. We are so proud of our students for the respect that was shown during this important school event. Students sang beautiful songs, stood for a moment of silence, and helped to lay classroom wreaths to honour those who have served our country as we strive for more peace.
- Visual De-Cluttering Our self-regulation team met this week and the topic was on the physical environment in our classrooms. We discussed ways to reduce visual and auditory “clutter” in the classrooms as this can lead to increased stress and less regulation of our students. Be sure to ask Mrs. Powell, Mrs. Peters, Mr. Turner, Ms. Garrioch and Mrs. Reich about some of the strategies we are using to increase self-regulation skills with our students. For parent resources, go to www.self-regulation.ca
Author Visit We were delighted to host Canadian author Maggie deVries last week as she came to share her passion for writing with our students. Thank you to FVRL librarian Terrill Scott for organizing this. You can read more on Mrs. Dumas’ blog http://bit.ly/1gS4JO8
Up and Atom Mrs. Peters’ class has been learning about the parts of the atom and their charges. Stop by to check out their projects on attraction and repulsion.
- Scholastic Book Fair Mrs. Dumas is hosting the Scholastic Book Fair from November 19-22 in our library.
Early Morning Readers Our successful community reading program continues to draw primary students in on Tuesdays and Thursdays as our local volunteers read to and with students.
- Self-Portrait Sketches Our intermediate teachers worked together to develop a theme and criteria for art for the students. This past week, the students worked on self-portrait sketches… check them out on the boards in our hallway!
- Sr-Teen Luncheon A few of our grade 6’s worked with students from ACE to prepare and serve yummy ACE burgers to our local seniors at the legion hall this past week.
- Be Polite We had our Celebrating Our Strengths assembly today in which we honoured our 2nd set of students this year. We also introduced our focus for the next month: BE POLITE. Ask your child what being polite means to them.
Click here to view our latest video of images from October and November.