Aboriginal Day at Kent School Today we had a number of special guests and presenters teach our kids a variety of Aboriginal teachings. Such as storytelling, crafts, jigging, cedar work, and sacred teachings. Thank you to Kasey for organizing and to Harvey Robinson, Elsi Norquay-Brown, Thelma Storozuk, Rene Inkster, Bill Foy, Crystal Chapman and Eric Wong for sharing their knowledge with us today. Thank you, too, to Rod Peters for the lunchtime salmon bake.
Kindergarten Dancing in the Rain We welcomed a new kindergarten student this week. Lilee-Jean Whittle-Putt and her family have a list of things they want to do called Dancing in the Rain and in this list is; “go to school”. Ms. Garrioch and her class opened their classroom to include Lilee-Jean as part of her first day of school. It was one of the most powerful days I have experienced and we were so honoured to have this family at Kent School. You can read more here.
- Grade 6 Trip Our grade 6’s traveled to Camp Squeah for 3 days to take part in a number of outdoor activities like archery, hiking, and rock climbing.
- Thank you to Our Family Volunteers We had our annual parent volunteer tea this week in which we thanked those parents who have helped our school in a number of ways. We wouldn’t be the same without all our family support! Thank you to Mrs. Dumas for organizing this event.
Class Music Performances Families were invited to watch our students showcase all they have learned in music class this year. We also had a special music teacher from the Czech Republic come and showcase some of her talents with the traditional hunting horn. One of our student’s homemade instruments matched this horn quite nicely so Sarka even played that one for him!
- Trip to White Rock Ms. Home and Mr. Mills’ classes traveled to White Rock to learn about the local history and geography – and have a tasty treat on the beach!
Book Promotions Some students in Mr. Mills’ and Mrs. Faulkner’s class have been working on art that showcases their favourite books they have read this year.
- Seabird Education Agreement The official signing ceremony for our local education agreement with Seabird happened on Monday evening at Seabird Island. This agreement ensures a collaborative effort to create the best learning environment for students.
- Year End Ceremony We invite you to attend our year-end ceremony, in which we honour each grade 6 student, on Tuesday, June 25 at 1pm.
SFU Science We had students from SFU come and demonstrate and share their passion of science with us. Students learned about physics, ecology and many other areas as part of the SFU Science Tour.
- Kent’s Got Talent! Our performers amazed the crowd with their talent in dance, acro, guitar, piano and vocals. I am always blown away by the courage these students show as they get up and perform their hearts out in front of a crowd. To see one of the performances, check out the video below: