- Happy Sto:lo New Year! We had the honour of hosting Sto:lo New Year celebrations this year at Kent School. Students from Harrison, AESS, Seabird and Chehalis came and sang, danced, and performed to help celebrate the end of a year filled with hard work. Thank you so much to Kasey and Nelson for their efforts in making this event possible! Click here for images.
- Running for Pumpkins? Students ran 3km today on our pumpkin run. They were instructed to count the pumpkins along the way… I heard 44 was the number!
- Culture of Reading Many teachers in our school are displaying their favourite books and encouraging students to share theirs in a way to promote reading in our school.
- Partner Schools Mr. Gallamore, Mrs. Gallamore, and Mr. Penner’s classes are partnering with Giant’s Head Elementary School in Summerland, BC to exchange ideas, blog posts, emails, and learning activities with each other. A great way for students to connect outside the classroom!
- Finding Strength Through Drama Mr. Mills has a passion for drama and this is spreading to his students and former students. He has started a drama club at lunch (by request of some former students) and continues to observe students coming out of their shells and realizing their strengths through drama in his class.
- Hallowe’en at Kent Students are invited to wear their costumes to school on Monday (some classes will be changing into costumes at lunch). There will be a sock-hop at lunch as well as ‘haunted house’ activities throughout the day. Please remember that Kent is a junk food-free school so please leave candy at home.
- Learning Through Inquiry Ms. Exley’s class is working with our teacher-librarian, Mrs. Dumas, to learn through research by asking powerful questions. It was great to see the “little animal researchers” in action!
- Cross-Country Congratulations to all those members of our cross-country team! They had a fantastic season which will continue in May. Thanks to Mrs. Gallamore and Mr. Penner for their efforts.
- House Games Boys’ handball season has ended and floor hockey has begun. Girls skittle ball season has also started. Check out the board for some great “bobblehead” pics of the boys!
- Student Leaders Our grade 6 students are once again demonstrating their leadership in a variety of ways in the school. They help to look after our primary students at lunch as well as look after our PE equipment at recess/lunch. On top of this, they are often there to lend a helping hand to a younger student.
As always, we encourage you to leave feedback in the comment box below. Have a great weekend!
On Thursday, October 27, Kent School had the honour of hosting schools from Seabird, Chehalis, Harrison, and AESS to celebrate Sto:lo new year. Thank you so much to all those students who danced, sang, and performed for everyone in attendance. Also, thank you to Kasey and Nelson for caanizing a great event that helped us to celebrate all the hard work that has occurred this year.
[gigya src=”http://www.flickr.com/apps/slideshow/show.swf?v=71649″ width=”600″ flashvars=”offsite=true&lang=en-us&page_show_url=/photos/kentelementary/sets/72157627873595477/show/&page_show_back_url=/photos/kentelementary/sets/72157627873595477/&set_id=72157627873595477&jump_to=” allowFullScreen=”true” ]
If you are unable to view the photos above, please click here.
Families: Here’s something to talk about with your child or with each other!
- Gone Fishing! Ms. Exley and Mrs. Cardinal’s classes travelled to Hick’s Lake to learn how to fish through www.gofishbc.com! Mr. And Mrs. Gallamore’s classes also worked with the team that afternoon. Although no fish were caught, it goes with the saying “A good day of fishing is when you are out on the water; a GREAT day of fishing is when you actually catch one.” For pictures, click here.
- Turkey Art Both Mrs. Dove’s K class and Mrs. V’s grade 1 class used the long weekend Thanksgiving theme to hone their art skills. Students traced their hand, cut out the paper, coloured and then added this to their turkeys.
- Cheam Wetlands Mr. Mills and Mrs. Smith’s classes travelled to Cheam Wetlands to learn about some local biodiversity this week. The “wet” lands definitely lived up to its name this week!
- Garden Work Bee A few staff members, students, and parents spent Tuesday afternoon weeding and planting to help maintain our beautiful learning area! Thanks so much to those that helped!
- Think BIGG Trent Arteberry was here last Friday to showcase the art of Mime to our students… the passion spread as mime shows took over Ms. Exley’s classroom that afternoon.
- Blogging Mr. Gallamore has started to teach his students the power of collaborating through technology via student blogging. Students can comment and view each others’ work to provide feedback on how to improve.
- Comic Life Mrs. Dumas is using a program called Comic Life to help teach some of her students reading and writing skills (while also encouraging creativity).
- iWalk This week, Mrs. Gallamore has helped caanize a week to encourage families to walk to work and school. Did you participate?
- Reading Groups All our reading groups have started for our primary classes. At Kent, we use more teachers so we can provide instruction in a smaller group setting, thus giving students more individual support.
- Photo Retakes are set for October 18th. Please bring your forms in to order your photos.
Happy Thanksgiving! No school Monday.
As always, comments are always appreciated so if you have any thoughts on the weekend, please comment in the space below. To subscribe to this blog and receive updates when items are posted, please submit your email on the upper right-hand corner of this page.
Ms. Exley and Mrs. Cardinal’s class went fishing with Go Fish BC this morning. Check out the photos!
[gigya src=”http://www.flickr.com/apps/slideshow/show.swf?v=71649″ width=”600″ flashvars=”offsite=true&lang=en-us&page_show_url=/photos/kentelementary/sets/72157627695066189/show/&page_show_back_url=/photos/kentelementary/sets/72157627695066189/&set_id=72157627695066189&jump_to=” allowFullScreen=”true” ]
If you cannot view the slideshow, click here to see images.
For a video of Mr. and Mrs. Gallamore’s classes at Hick’s, click here.
Families: Here’s something to talk about with your child or with each other!
- Terry Fox Run Our whole school walk/ran the Terry Fox Run on Wednesday AND brought in money for cancer research. Classes wrote, read, and discussed the impact of Terry Fox throughout the week.
- Night of Family Science Last year’s grade 6’s won a science night from Science World last year but was postponed until last night. They were here volunteering, along with over 160 family members of Kent School, to watch some awesome science demonstrations! We enjoyed the free pizza too. Thanks to Mrs. Gallamore for helping to caanize this.
- Camp Squeah Our grade 6’s travelled to Camp Squeah (on the other side of Hope) to participate in a number of outdoor learning activities… with the favourite being archery!
- Garden Work Bee! WE NEED YOUR HELP! Our beautiful garden needs some TLC so we have caanized a work bee right after school on Tuesday, October 4. We have a few tools here but if you have some at home, please bring them. Hope you and your child can join us!
- Cultural Energy Bursts Mrs. Dove’s class is taking advantage of Nelson Leon’s passion of drumming to help them in listening and physical education as they dance to his drumming.
- Buddies! Mrs. Gallamore (grade 6) and Mrs. V’s (grade 1) classes have teamed up for buddy reading, buddy math, and buddy PE already this year.
- House Games Mr. Gallamore has the gym filled at lunch for boys’ handball for house games this month.
- Choir Our Kent Choir is now practicing on Wednesday afternoons. The dates are set for the Christmas Concert (December 14) and Spring Concert (May 9 and 10). Mrs. Di Rezze is looking for an accompanist as well as anybody that can help with tech (audio and/or video) this year. Please contact the school if you can help.
- Meaning of Hope Mrs. Smith’s grade 3/4 class have defined the word hope in such powerful ways. Please check the board outside their classroom.
- Photos The photos have been distributed today. The orders MUST be returned by October 11. Retakes TBA.