We will be transitioning to using this new site some time this year.
Families: Here’s something to talk about with your child or with each other!
*click on the photos to view in a larger size
iWalk to School/Work Week Many students, staff and community volunteers joined in the International Walk to School Week last week as our students walked together from AESS to help promote an active, healthy lifestyle.
Happy Sto:lo New Year We invited many parents and elders into our school to watch a performance of Little Bear’s Vision Quest put on by the grade 4 students. Students from ACE also came to support our kids in a friendly game of Slahal.
- FFFFFantastic! The letter F was all the talk in our K classes this week. Be sure to ask your kids to point out any letter F’s they see around town.
- Gone Fishin’ Ms. Exley and Mrs. Cardinal’s classes traveled to Hicks Lake to take part in a local program that teaches kids how to fish.
- Inuit Art Mr. Mills’ class has been working on using traditional shapes to complete artwork inspired by the Inuit of Canada.
- Kent Athletics Our intermediate co-ed soccer team travelled to Promontory Elementary this week and our cross-country team travelled to Chilliwack to run at Twin Rinks. Once again, we are proud of their effort and attitude!
CHOICES is On! Art, musical theatre, science, technology, building, puppetry, beadwork, legends, fitness, readers’ theatre, knitting and chess have taken over our school on Wednesday afternoon. This is a fairly unique program and we are proud to offer it again this year. Thanks to all the staff for all their hard work in preparing for this round of CHOICES.
- Identity Day – November 20 Students and staff will all be doing a project on themselves – their strengths, interests, family, culture, etc – for November 20th as part of our 2nd Identity Day. More info will be coming out soon but if you would like info from our last one, go to: http://bit.ly/NrekwQ
- Safe and Caring School There has been much talk recently around bullying with kids. I was proud to hear a comment made by a parent at the PAC meeting when she stated. “I think Kent is doing the right thing by helping students celebrate and be proud of who they are.” We will continue to work hard with our students on this to ensure that our school models safety, care, and empathy with our kids.
- Drop Everything and Read! Our school will be participating in yet another activity to promote reading with our kids. On Monday afternoon, students will be invited to take part in a “read-in” in our library with comfy cushions and a good book. This is part of the provincial D.E.A.R. event.
- iWalk to School/Work Week Students will have the option of being dropped off at AESS on the mornings of Wednesday-Friday next week so they can walk to school as part of iWalk Week. Please note that permission forms must be signed to participate in this supervised event. We are looking forward to teachers and many special guests helping out!
Garden Beautification Our kids LOVE our garden. Mrs. Cardinal rallied the troops and had students and parents drop by to help weed, prune, and clean up our wonderful garden. Be sure to stop by and have a look!
Livening Up Their Writing Students in Ms. Exley’s class worked hard to come up with some lively descriptive words to bring excitement to their writing.
- Grade 4 ‘Marshins’ Mr. Mills and Mrs. Faulkner took our grade 4’s to Hope to explore the wetlands of the Thacker Marsh. There is nothing like science in the natural setting!
Daily 5 in Grade 1 Mrs. Smith’s class is working on their reading and writing skills (as well as becoming more independent) through a teaching framework called the Daily 5. They also were singing and learning about how to choose books of interest at their level through a song called iPICK – please ask your child to teach you the song and the sweet dance moves.
- A Classroom Community Through Facebook Mrs. Roste and Ms. Garrioch have created a space to build community and share stories from their classes for their families that use Facebook.
- Kent Athletics Our intermediate co-ed soccer team travelled to Sardis elementary this week. Although the team came up a little short on the scoreboard, they represented our school well! Our cross-country team also travelled to Chilliwack to run at FG Leary School. Students put in their top effort and worked to improve their personal best times.
Inclusion is Just What We Do The staff of Kent School truly believe that the best thing for ALL our students is to include all of them in everything we do. We have many students with different abilities that teach the staff and each other so much about their abilities and determination. Creating awareness is a goal for us, so if you have questions, please ask!
- CHOICES Next Week Students have chosen their activities and will start learning new exciting skills in their CHOICES program next Wednesday.
- Kent Goes Broadway Mrs. Di Rezze and Mr. Mills are teaming up to tap into the artistic strengths of our students as they work to put on a Musical this year. If your child is in grade 3-6 and interested, please see Mrs. Di Rezze.
**please click on the photos to enlarge them
PHOTO RETAKES – OCTOBER 17